Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Star Date 1032012: The Sixth Post (DTC 355)

Assets List Assignments
Part 1: Assets List

  1. Jay Inslee's accomplishments page on his website. The page describes Jay's views on different things, specifically the section of "Preserving Washington's quality of life..." where he openly talks about how he wants to preserve people and points out his position on pro-choice. This page supports my project topic how voters are persuaded to vote for Jay, specifically with his open-ness on the subject to get the young women voters and those who are typically democratic voters.
  2. Rob Mckenna's record page on his own website is the next asset. His page describes how he is working hard for the protection of women and gives examples how he is trying to protect them from sexual assults, predators, and overall domestic violence. This supports the topic in the way he chooses NOT to say whether he is pro-life/choice since he is republican, but shows that he still wants to protect women.
  3. The NARAL website overall is another asset that I plan on using. It will be one of the major backbones in terminology and goals of women/men who are pro-choice. There are many topics to look at, specifically what being pro-choice is about. They include healthy pregnancy as one of their pro-choice topics in which a woman should have the right to have a healthy pregnancy and are informative with their own site.
  4. Pro-Life Action Leauge's website is in contrast with NARAL as an asset, mainly focusing on pro-life as the topic. This will help with the terminology on the other side of the argument, and how they approach similar ideas on their website. The focus on the project is how to get voters to vote in a certain way, and the website uses certain tactics about the topic itself that might make a voter change his or her mind.
  5. Full Frontal Freedom is the final asset, also a website but I am focusing on specifically the video A Vagina Monologue: A Vagina Interrupted, which can also be found on YouTube. This is a good support in general of women's rights as a voter specifically. It is not necessarily about women being either pro-life or pro-choice, just being an American voter. The premise is more democratic and pro-choice, but the women herself doesn't say what kind of voter she is, just that she wants and deserves the right to have her say.
Part 2: Rights
  1. Jay Inslee's website -> an existing asset. I believe it falls under fair use because I am using the website as a point of research/comment on politicians in general, I just happen to be looking at the current Governor elections in Washington State. Because it is a political website it does not say copyrighted on the site directly, but it does say "paid for by Jay Inslee" which means that he is the one who wants people to see the things you see on his site, but he may not be the actual person maintaining it. I am also just focusing on one section on one page on his entire site. I don't plan on necessarily having many viewers of my rhetorical analysis see it in terms of me telling people about it, but that doesn't mean that I won't leave it up and or open on the internet since I'll be using my own domain name, which may be my biggest obstacle if I need to actually ask Jay Inslee for permission.
  2. Rob Mckenna's website -> an existing asset. Fair use for the same reasons in #1, except that his site was paid for by friends of Rob Mckenna which makes it sound more open to being fair use.
  3. NARAL's website -> an existing asset. Falls under fair use because they have a copyright page detailing the specific ways in which you are allowed to use (or not allowed) their information. I don't plan on editing their words, erasing their copyright marks, or using their information for commercial use. I am using the information as a guide for educational purposes on the topic of Pro-Choice. I may have to ask for permission just in case if I decide that I want to broaden the scope of who views my analysis since it could be borderline "commercial use" since I am 'selling' myself to employers with the help of their information.
  4. Pro-Life Action League's website -> an existing asset. Falls under fair use since I am using it similarly to how I am using NARAL's. Their site already has been copyrighted as well, and I do not see any terms of how I am allowed to use their information. I plan on showing their information similarly to how I would the others, and that also changes if I decide to use this in a portfolio.
  5. The Vagina Monologue: a Vagina Interrupted video -> an existing/original asset. This falls under fair use since it is a YouTube video that is open to the public both on the site, and on the website it was originally placed. The video is linked to the site and already has a large intended audience. I would only be using the video to describe certain aspects of women voters as commentary to my analysis. Since the video is opened to the public it would already be copyrighted both by YouTube's website and the website it was initially on. I may face the challenge of asking any of the actors for permission if necessary.
Part 3: Sources
Since I am using a lot of linguistics as my sources, I intend to have a separate page linked in the menu to my sources as well as site them in my texts AML style. Since some of my sites may disappear after the election, assuming they are temporarily there, I will take screenshots of the pages, as well as the text when I site it just to be safe. The video I intend to being represented as itself and in the sources page. Where the video is I won't cite it like I would words from a page, since I am discussing the video, the visual and placement of the video will serve as its own citation in my rhetorical analysis.

Inslee, Jay. Accomplishments. Jay Inslee. Oct 3. 2012. website

Mckenna, Rob. Rob's Records. Friends of Rob Mckenna. Oct 3. 2012. website.

Keenan, Nancy. NARAL: Pro-Choice America. NARAL Pro-Choice America. Oct 3. 2012. website.

Scheidler, Joseph M. Pro-Life Action League. Pro-Life Action League. Oct 3. 2012. website.

Conant, Rob. Conor Gaughan, Anne Thornton, Keelin Clark. A Vagina Monologue: A Vagina Interrupted. Full Frontal Freedom. Oct 3. 2012. video.

- Julie Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment